Friday 21 December 2012

Captain A-MEH-rica: The Underwhelming story.

For today, I have chosen to discuss Marvel NOW!'s (and I'm sick of using NOW!, so will just be using now, from now on (though I guess that could get confusing in situations like now, so maybe not.)) new Captain America book.


Having recently read issue #1 of the new Captain America book from Rick Remender, John Romita, Klaus Janson and Dean White. I was disappointed, I found the artwork jarring and difficult to relate to, it seemed to prevented me from really engaging with the story.

And then there is the story. Oh look, its Armin Zola, again, one of the most ridiculous looking villains possible, even M.O.D.O.K looks more intimidating. And oh, Captain America has been transported away and locked up...how many times does that make it?







Anyway, I wasn't a fan, but then came issue #2.

Wow was I wrong, this is actually an incredibly good book, maybe still not the best, but much better than I first thought. I'm still not the biggest fan of the artwork but I finding that the story more than makes up for it. What we are being given here is a Captain America that hasn't really been explored, or at least not recently. A Captain that is on the verge of losing hope, with no country, no home and on the edge of exhaustion.

Plus, Captain America is a baby stealer!!! Though probably for the best of course, but this adds another dimension to the book. It could be said that Steve Rogers is a father figure in the Marvel universe, but now he really has to take on the role, he has to look after a child and keep him safe, and in another dimension as well. So although I had a bit of a rocky start I will now definitely keep reading to the end of this arc at least and see how it goes from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment