Saturday 29 December 2012

Holiday helpers: DC Comics

Less of a helper and more a holiday glance. I feel like the glow of The New 52 seems to be wearing off for me- i've already chosen to ditch Aquaman (although my partner in crime remains loyal) -but with the whiff of Wally West on the horizon for 2013 I may very well change my fickle mind.

I feel like I should show some sisterly solidarity and stick with Kate Kane as Batwoman. 15 issues into this series, and Kane is still on the hunt for Gotham's lost children hand in hand with the goddess of the hour- Wonder Woman.

I've seen that there are a few haters of Batman #15 in terms of conceptual execution, but personally I really liked it. So far this series of Batwoman has been pretty dark and rather detached from the civilian point of view, so it was nice to see Maggie Sawyer and the police force taking the lead with this issue.

Gotham is once again a playground for mayhem, and without a Bat in sight (for now), Maggie and her force take it upon themselves to try and restore some sort of order.

Now, whilst I liked the concept, there was definitely something missing. The more I read, the more it started to feel a bit more "filler and no killer". The grittiness of the dialogue was a bit TOO gritty, and Maggie just came across as a bit cold, the stereotypical 'no bullshit female cop', and it was definitely on the verge of emotionless. But I love and respect what Williams and Blackman tried to do here, I just wish they could have done a bit more.

My real issue probably lies with the artwork. Trevor McCarthy steps up to take the reigns for this issue. Whilst I like McCarthy's work, something about it just didn't connect. The grittiness of it matched the tone, but I just felt that it lacked the gracefulness that we'd seen in previous issues, and Maggie just looked far to hard. Sure the mayhem would do that to you, but it didn't seem to fit right.

All in all, Batwoman #15 has slowly rekindled our dwindling lust for DC, but it's safe to say that we're ready for this saga to reach its conclusion and get to kicking with some new Kane-based antics.

What would doom do?
He'd hold on to his huffing and puffing and let the DC flame burn just a little longer. WE WANT WALLY - Sorry Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment