Friday 9 November 2012

Bewitched: Willow Season 9 #1

Willow is back and rockin' her own miniseries.
I picked up 'Willow Season 9:  Wonderland Part 1' after much "oooing" and "ahhhhing" and just general uncertainty as I still haven't finished all of Buffy season 9! But hey, why deprive myself.

Armed with Buffy's broken scythe, Willow is on the hunt to restore magic. With a new cast, and a lot to catch up on, I thought the narrative (Jeff Parker) was really strong and the artwork (Brian Ching) exactly what I expected from a Buffyverse spin off.
Parker works hard to resonate the quirky, happy-go-lucky Willow that we know, but also giving her that extra kick of Buffyesque 'umpf' now that she's goin' solo.

But one thing that did bother me (as it usually does with the Buffyverse comics..), you need to be up to speed with all the ins and outs of each Buffyverse (e.g Angel & Faith etc) for all of this to make sense, o there were times where I felt like I was only joining in at the end of the sentence. But if anything that's given me more incentive to spend more money and get myself up to speed...I think it will definitely be worth it.

So what to say of Willow #1...playing it safe at the moment, but definitely more to come I hope.

What would doom do? he'd be a good ole kittyfantastico and finally use his powers to good to bring a bit of magic into this badboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment