Thursday 1 November 2012

Mind the Gap: The power of cover art

So last week I rambled on about cover art and variants, and this week I was definitely a slave to its various shiny fun ways.

I'm a very visual person - i'll always remember a face and location but never a name and destination. I leave notes for myself in doodle form. My attention sways far too quickly from words if there is no imagery present...so basically i'm a child.
I'm one of those people who will invest solely in a comic or book if it has striking cover art, and Jim McCann's 'Mind the Gap' is definitely no exception to this.

When I came across Volume 1 (containing issues 1-5), I was sold hook line and sinker. But before loving up the the artwork, first, the story. Without delving too deep into it, MTG is a modern day 'who done it' thriller tailing Elle Peterssen who is attacked on a Manhattan subway platform and left comatose.  The sci-fi shiz kicks in when the only key to finding out her attacker can be found within her own subconscious- where she drifts in a purgatory like world.
5 issue's in and whilst it has some predictable elements (like most 'who done it's), there are still plenty of twists and turns and a whole lot of "huh?", and i'm pretty sure McCann has a lot left to offer.

Now back to the art. Penciled by Rodin Esquejo I was definitely captured by the sense of realism. The cover art for #1 (and volume 1) is just amazing. The pencils of Esquejo and colours by Sonia Oback practically breath life into the story. I really feel that Esquejo and Oback take what is already a strong story and amplify it. They are consistent throughout, precise and awesome at capturing the different locations, atmospheres and states (reality, flashbacks and Elle's 'purgatory'). Oback is great at adding elements of beauty and intrigue to a tale of danger and sadness.


The only downside is that i'm pretty gutted that I haven't been collecting it issue by issue! The cover art and variants are bloody awesome, and each artist is so good at depicting the same idea in different ways through their own voice. Yay for Mind the Gap!

#3 variant by Skottie Young
#4 variant by Lynell Ingram




So what would doom do? He'd take off that mask of his so he could open his eyes a little wider and wake and see the awesomeness of good cover art.

No comments:

Post a Comment