Thursday 18 October 2012

Uncanny Avengers #1......Meh

So, I've read Uncanny Avengers issue one, and as the title post says, meh. I didn't hate it, but neither did I love it. Did it feel like a brand new series, a paradigm shifting issue? No, it just felt like another issue except with a 1 on the front. Though it is still of course early on, I'm sure that as things continue I'll become far more enthralled by it. Perhaps I had just built it up far too much, after all the line up is fairly interesting, a new combination of heroes that we haven't really seen working together before. Both in terms of power sets and relationships.

Though I don't want to give you the impression that I didn't enjoy it, I did, its worth a read just for the few excellent moments, the last page for example did have me a little speechless, and the image of Captain America flying away with his legs spread? Priceless, an image that will  stay with me for years to come. Yes, the issue itself didn't fill me with joy like others have, but while not in itself the most impressive thing I've read, it has started laying the groundwork for what could be some really fun and captivating stories.

Now, as for the artwork, I like it, I like it a lot. Its clean and clear, not over done or too gritty, we don't have any over muscled steroid pumped heroes, instead we have some true comic artwork that shows people as they might actually be, just the right mix of reality and fantasy. Which I feel is also reflected by the writing, with characters admitting to the reality of their situation  such as Captain America admitting that they didn't do enough to help mutants. What we have here, I feel, is a slightly more grounded Marvel comic book, whether they keep their feet on the ground remains to be seen. But I certainly do like the combination of Remender and Cassaday, if they continue like this then I fear I may be writing angry letters to them if they attempt to split up, its not all about you two, think of the readers! Think of the readers!!

And What Would Doom Do?  He would calmly enjoy it, he would also add it to his pull list as he has seen the future and knows that big things are just around the corner. Big things. Just around the corner. He also has a soft spot for Havok so for that reason alone will be buying every issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment