Tuesday 23 October 2012

Arrow: Bullseye or Near Miss


First off, I would like to apologise for the post title, its horrific, I know, but anyway on to the actual topic, Arrow. The new Green Arrow TV series, the first episode has now been seen, so I assume the bitching and moaning can start.

To begin with I am briefly going to mention the inevitable comparisons that will be drawn between this and Smallville. Both have imposing mansions and sinister bald men, both seem to have somewhat similar styles and both have leading male characters that put the rest of us 'normal' males to shame. Seriously I could barely look at myself in the mirror after seeing Stephen Amell, but this is only the pilot with plenty of room for it to develop,and I for one am looking forward to it.

For a pilot this was very good, well put together, already an engaging (if somewhat clichĂ©  but then again what do you expect?) story that holds a lot of promise, coupled with some very impressive and well shot action sequences. Its exciting, just the right mix of violence intimidation and humour, whether intentional or not, for example, the line Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) delivers to Walter Steele (Colin Salmon) over dinner, superb. Also, COLIN SALMON!!!!! About time we saw some more of him, surely with his presence alone we have great promise for the show, we could certainly have a hit here.

I certainly think it benefits from being a little more gritty than previous hero based series have been, tends to add a bit more realism don't you think? It is by no means perfect, but then again what show is *cough* Firefly *cough*. However, it was enjoyable, it didn't drag by, it seemed well paced enough, but we will see if they can keep that up in future episodes. To give too much praise or criticism now would I feel be premature  the show has quite literally only just begun, what I will say is that it is worth seeing, and that I have high hopes for future episodes, a lot of work seems to have gone into it and I think that will pay off. 

So, is it a bullseye or a near miss? Well I'm going to annoy you all and say it was a near bullseye, but enough about me, What Would Doom Do?
Doom would watch, with a steady gaze and stern expression, then write a reminder on a post it note about the next episode and stick it on the fridge, along with with the gas bill, yeah, that really should be paid. 




No comments:

Post a Comment