Sunday 28 October 2012

Battle of the Variants..

The battle has begun! With Marvel claiming that their variant covers are pretty damn successful, they have been met with the accusation of artificially inflating sales through their multitude of covers.

Variant covers of issues was a very popular practice during the Avengers vs X-Men series, and if i'm honest I found myself not only getting pretty confused about whether I was getting the right issue, but it also left me feeling pretty pissed off if I ended up with the cover art that I didn't want cause the other ones were all sold out!

I like to keep all my comics pretty ordered and 'in sync' so in the case of AvX, having covers that didn't match was pretty annoying (not that im OCD or anything)..so in that aspect I kinda wished that they'd just bore off...Until I came across the next set of variants that they've got geared up.

With Marvel NOW fast approaching, Marvel have stated that there will be an increased number of variants, and one that definitely caught my eye is the one they've got lined up for Young Avengers #. The original cover - pencilled by McKelvie, will be rivalled by the artwork of the one and only Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgram)

Cover by McKelvie
Cover by O'Malley

I am absolutely LOVING this. It presents the YA as what they really are...young, fun teenagers. It says soooo much but yet gives away so little, and I will be majorly bummed if I miss out on getting O'Malley's variant cover!

Did I also add that i'll be getting the original too?

And what would doom do? he'd bloody well dig deep and make sure he had enough pennies to pick up both versions of this bad boy, and pray to himself that this is the only awesome variant that this title has to offer, otherwise Latervia will be in some serious debt...

No comments:

Post a Comment