Monday 1 October 2012

A Girl's Guide to the Sea: Aquaman #0

In my quest to continue playing catch up, I decided to join the ranks of many and finally start my Aquaman journey, and what better place to start than with DC's fresh batch of #0s. And what a journey it was.

Not gonna lie but I was pretty much blown away. This beautiful opening tail of Arthur Curry read like the opening sequence to Disney's 'Little Mermaid' (my ultimate fave).

I don't know what I was expecting when I picked up this issue, but it definitely wasn't this.

The artwork of Ivan Reis and Joe Prado was absolutely flawless and not to forget the colourist Rod Reis. All 3 worked together to produce an absolute stunning issue from start to finish - especially the underwater scenes.

You can literally hear the swell of the orchestra and the splash of the waves. Think I'm joking? then you definitely need to get your hands on this issue to see what I mean (a love of the 1989's Disney classic may also help...)
Even Curry's dramatic return to land is every bit as epic as Ariel mounting the rock on the surface, surrounded by crashing waves as she sings 'Part of Your World'


Let's not forget Geoff John's who kicks off this tale of a young man's reunion with the sea. Whilst the writing is strong, I really feel like this #0 issue is well and truly lead by Reis's and Prado's ability to let the artwork tell this story.

Definitely one for the big screen.

Watch from 2:15 in!




No comments:

Post a Comment